SLIDER

Sing Sweet Baby

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Release Date: March 2004
Publisher: Penguin | Speak
Pages: 345 pages
Source & Format: Library; Hardcover

Sum It Up (from Goodreads)
When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?

By Its Cover: One of the Better Dessen Covers
While I thought the cover for Along the Ride was super cheesy, I'm fine with this one. But I was really excited when I found out that all of her covers were getting redesigned. It's about time! I really like that the new cover for this book incorporates a guitar. Very fitting! You'll have to go look them up - after you finish reading this, of course!

Amen, Sister Friend: Cynical But Realistic
I probably wouldn't be close friends with Remy because I wasn't really a party girl in high school. However, that doesn't mean I didn't appreciate her as a character. I think my favorite thing about her was how realistic she was. She sounded like a real teenager - with moments of immaturity - but she was also really cynical. After her mother's many failed marriages, Remy doesn't want her heart on the line. She's famous for getting rid of guys before things get serious. That makes her seem a little harsh, but it was also understandable considering her family dynamics. She definitely wasn't the normal YA heroine!

I also really enjoyed the dynamics with Remy's group of friends - Lissa, Chloe and Jess. What I really appreciate about Sarah Dessen is that she writes very well-developed characters and that includes the secondary ones.

Literary Love: Lead Singer Love
I heard quite a bit about Dexter before I ever picked up This Lullaby. From what I've heard, a lot of people have some pretty hardcore love for this Dessen fella. Dexter is a musical guy. He's kind of awkward and nerdy at times, but he's also the lead singer. He's incredibly confident, but he also has that goofy charm.

While I liked Dexter, I wasn't totally crazy about him. The problem is that I can't put my finger on the reason why! I think it's because I didn't love Remy and that sort of just translated into me not being completely wrapped up in the love story.

Word Nerd: Classic Dessen
I say "Classic Dessen" like I've read more than one by her, but this was actually only my second Sarah Dessen book. I have heard quite a few people say that this is one of their favorite books by Sarah Dessen. Personally, I preferred Along for the Ride. I liked that main character better, and I enjoyed the love story and secondary characters more. In the end, I think it comes down to the fact that I had more a personal connection to the other book.

Both books had a similar formula, however, so I can see why people told me not to read them all in a row. I think it would definitely be better to read one every now and then rather than back-to-back. I think that may be partly why I was comparing it to my only other Sarah Dessen. They seemed really similar, and I ultimately liked the other book more.

Extra, Extra: Musical Man
If you're musical or have a thing for boys that can sing and/or play the guitar, you'll totally eat this book up. I'd be willing to bet that you'll be crazy about the love story. I'm not sure he was my kind of guy, but I know quite a few ladies that would be happy to have him all to themselves!

So Quotable
"No relationship is perfect, ever. There are always some ways you have to bend, to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater."

"Some things don't last forever, but some things do. Like a good song, or a good book, or a good memory you can take out and unfold in your darkest times, pressing down on the corners and peering in close, hoping you still recognize the person you see there."

Bottom Line: Enjoyable But Not a Favorite
While I thought This Lullaby was good, I couldn't help but compare it to my only other Sarah Dessen experience! I had a stronger connection to that book, which is probably why I preferred it. I was glad I just got this one from the library - I enjoyed it, but it wouldn't be a book I'd read again and again.

18 comments

  1. I really liked that Remy wasn't the normal YA heroine! Hmm, I think I need to read Along for the Ride since people keep on rec'ing it. Her books after This Lullaby & The Truth About Forever fell flat for me but I will try Along for the Ride! I would definitely be happy to have Dexter, haha. I'm glad you liked this book overall even though you weren't IN LOVE with it. It's one of my favs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see why people love it! If I had connected to the characters just a little bit more I probably would have... but I did like that Remy wasn't the normal YA heroine! It might not have been a favorite, but it was definitely still an enjoyable read :) I've got This Lullaby & The Truth About Forever so we'll see if I like those better or if Along the Ride stays at the top of my Dessen list!

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, I am one of those crazy Dexter fans :) He was just so awkward and gangly but his personality resonated with me. I actually still need to read Along for the Ride, and since you loved it so much I'm sure I will too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ IT! It was adorable :) This was only my second Dessen so I'll be interested to see if Along the Ride stays at the top of my list the more I read by her!

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot about Dessen lately but I don't think I've ever read one of her books. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy if you end up reading something by her!

      Delete
  4. I've really been wanting to reread this book. I haven't read it for probably a good 6 or 7 years, and I don't remember a single thing about it besides "Hate Spinnerbait," and, randomly, a scene at a gas station. And there's a broken down house in my mind, maybe where the band practiced? SEE. I really need to re-read it. Because, like you, I've heard a lot of good things, and although I've read it, I don't feel like I have.

    Sad that this book did not live up to your expectations, though.

    If you're taking Dessen recommendations, though, you should give The Truth About Forever a shot. :D It's my favorite of hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just found The Truth About Forever for like $3 - I'll have to bump it up on my TBR list! I've heard it's a lot of people's favorite Dessen.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! This comment is to notify you that I'm presenting you with the Liebster Blog Award. :) You can find out more here: http://fictionally-inclined.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-blog-award.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I read this in the car & forget to check it out! I've been a terrible blogger lately haha!

      Delete
  6. I am also a crazy Dexter fan. This is my favorite Sarah Dessen book so far and I just bizarrely connected to it, despite not at all being in the same situation as Remy.

    I am sad this one is not your favorite, but alas, there's enough Dessen for all of us to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES there is definitely more than enough Dessen! I've only read two books by her, but I can already tell that she may have somewhat of a formula BUT that her characters are really unique. I totally appreciate that about her because it means I'm not reading about the same girl over and over. I loved Auden & found Remy okay but I love that Dessen created girls that different people can relate to :)

      Delete
  7. I'm really glad you enjoyed this one as well! And I did read all of Sarah's books in a row and chronologically, I still enjoyed them all but the formula was a little more obvious. But even though there's a formula, she always manages to create unique characters and situations.

    I liked that Remy was different too but I don't remember a lot about her, so I guess it's because I didn't connect with her either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have This Lullably & The Truth About Forever (found them both on sale!), but I'm waiting to read them. I'm trying to space them a part so that I'm not as aware of the formula! And I completely agree - the plot may be a little formulaic, but the characters always seem unique!

      Delete
  8. Love your book reviews, Hannah! Do you mind if I link to your blog in one of my upcoming blog posts? I would love to recommend So Obsessed With to other book enthusiasts! (P.S. You have me convinced on Sarah Dessen - I have never read any of her books either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all! I'm so flattered that you love my reviews & want to share :) You are too sweet, Lesley Anne!

      Since you're also a book enthusiast, read anything that you loved recently? I'm also looking for new book recommendations!

      Delete
  9. I have never read any Dessen. I am not sure how I made it this far in (YA reading) life. Her books sound like a good mix of funny/sweet. Perhaps this will make it into my beach bag! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a great addition to your beach bag! They're quick reads but really fun!

      Delete

© So Obsessed With • Theme by Maira G.