SLIDER

“I am excessively diverted.”

If you're anything like me, a few days of Pride and Prejudice celebration isn't enough! You want more of the characters you love. You might want to try and get a fix for your addiction from sequels, spin-offs and books inspired by Austen. In that case, I'd point you to my Top Ten Austen-Inspired Books or the review of Celebrating Pride and Prejudice I posted yesterday.  So, instead, I want to talk a little bit about Pride and Prejudice on the big screen, TV and YouTube!


Here are six movies you can watch to get your Pride and Prejudice fix:

This is one of the earliest movie adaptations of Pride and Prejudice that you can easily buy on DVD. The black and white movie was filmed during the golden age of Hollywood, but it bears little resemblance on the book from which it takes its title. Greer Garson is one of the oldest on-screen Lizzies at thirty-siz, Lady Catherine becomes a matchmaker, and the costumes look like they were stolen from the set of Gone with the Wind. I still included it on the list because I think it's worth watching simply for an understanding of how the book has been portrayed onscreen. 

Bollywood meets Jane Austen in this version of Pride and Prejudice. The movie takes Austen's basic plot, transports it to India and fills it with musical numbers. It's really interesting to see how easily the story fits into a modern world and Indian culture. If you're unfamiliar with Indian movies, it's certainly a colorful, vibrant, and over the top experience. This is the perfect movie to pop in if you want to see how Austen has traveled the globe and been interpreted by other cultures. 

At almost six hours, this is the quintessential Pride and Prejudice movie adaptation. This is the mini-series that captivated viewers all over the world and is considered the spark that ignited the Austen "industry." Beautiful scenery, incredible acting, and faithfulness to the source material make this a dream come true. It's just about everything you could want in an Austen movie. You'll be staring at the screen for hours, captivated, thankful that so much of the novel is retained for the screen. I have a feeling that this will always remain the definitive Pride and Prejudice movie. It really is as good as everyone says! And now I'm dying to watch it again...

This retelling of Pride and Prejudice is a delight to watch! In her early thirties, Bridget Jones isn't satisfied with her life. She starts journaling to try and make some changes such as no drinking or smoking and losing weight. Of course, bad first impressions, pride and other romantic entanglements ensue. I think the movie is perfectly cast, and it will have you laughing the whole way through.

Just like the 1940 version of Pride and Prejudice, there are a lot of things that aren't quite right about this adaptation. While some love it, it certainly doesn't compare to the novel. However, I still love this movie. It's not a perfect Pride and Prejudice, but (sorry Austen purists!) it's still one of my favorite movies to watch. I'm obsessed with the soundtrack, in love with the scenery, the colors and that Darcy and Elizabeth feel more youthful. In fact, I love that MacFayden as Darcy portrays as shy and socially awkward. I also like to watch this more as a costume drama than an adapation and that helps me get past the liberties taken with the book.

6. Lost in Austen (2008)
Amanda Price is the modern heroine, and all she wants is to live in the world created by Jane Austen. She longs for elegance, chivalry, ballrooms and manners. Then, she's suddenly thrust into the world of Pride and Prejudice - trading places with Elizabeth Bennet. The book's plot begins to unfold as expected, but then her presence sends things awry. Suddenly, things aren't going according to plan! I was charmed by this adaptation, and it was such a fun way to revisit my favorite world. It may get a little cheesy at times, but overall it's a fun romp with some surprising twists!


And lucky number seven: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.

I just discovered this web series last week, which resulted in me spending all weekend watching the 80 or so episodes that had already been posted. And addicted doesn't even begin to describe my feelings for this adaptation. It took me a few episodes to completely fall for it, but once I did... well, the rest is history.

Filmed a series of vlogs, this is one of the smartest adaptation of Austen I've ever seen. It's funny, clever and full of heart. Secondary characters in the novel become fleshed out and make you fall in love with them. I can't stop smiling when I'm watching these even though the newest development is BREAKING MY HEART! OMG the FEELS, y'all. I just can't even.

Just watch them and join the growing fandom people who are going crazy for this modern, smart and brilliant version of Pride and Prejudice!

9 comments

  1. YES to all of these!

    I also love TLB Diaries to the end of the earth. I need to rewatch them start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And TLB Diaries are amazingggg! I'm addicted!

      Delete
  2. I love your suggestions! I'm especially looking forward to starting The Lizzie Bennet Diaries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the Lizzie Bennet Diaries are so awesome! I'm really excited for you to see them!

      Delete
  3. I have to admit something...I still haven't watched Lost in Austen. I feel like I'm saving it for that emergency moment. The only thing that makes me sad about the casting for Bridget Jones is that in the book she's obsessed with the Colin Firth swim scene from P&P mini series and watches it over and over again, and then is super awkward when she meets him for an interview in real life...they couldn't put that in when Colin Firth was also playing her Mr. Darcy!

    How excited are you for Austenland?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha love that you're saving it for an emergency moment! I think I read something about them doing a remake of it or something? I need to investigate that further.

      AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR AUSTENLAND! Plus, I love Keri Russell :)

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, I've actually seen most of these. I might watch the 1940 and 1995 movies too some time. Though I agree that the Keira Knightley version isn't a perfect retelling, I love it oh so much. Bridget Jones too. And you know how I feel about LDB: I watched the first 50 episodes in two days. It's such a fun and clever adaptation, and I love discovering new things with every new video :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LBD are SO addicting! Once you start, you just can't turn them off!

      Delete

  5. The 1995 version is the first period drama I saw, aged eight and have I loved it ever since! Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy is perfect! Everything about this version of P&P is wonderful and it is lovely to watch anytime especially with a cup of tea and a bar of chocolate on a rainy day or when you are feeling unwell. Sit back & fall in love with Mr. Darcy! I really enjoy watching Lost in Austen too.

    ReplyDelete

© So Obsessed With • Theme by Maira G.