SLIDER

Can I Adopt a Pygmy Goat?

The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver by E. Lockhart

Release Date: July 2009
Publisher: Random House | Delacorte
Pages: 248 pages
Series: Ruby Oliver #3
Source & Format: Library; Kindle e-book

Sum It Up
Ruby is back from winter break, and she's had thirty-seven weeks in the state of Noboyfriend. Her panic attacks aren't getting any better and her love life is even worse. She's getting notes from Noel, frogs from Jackson, cooking help from Gideon and brownies from Finn. On top of all that, she's trying to run a bake sale, discovering heavy metal hair band therapy, defending pygmy goats and being Noel's bodyguard. Can you tell Ruby's having a jam-packed semester?

By Its Cover: What Happened To The Marshmallow?
You should check out the cover with the marshmallow on it!  I think there's a pattern here... Can you tell that I prefer the older covers for these books?

Amen, Sister Friend: I Love You, Roo!
I want to be Ruby's friend for so many reasons, and one of the biggest is that I want to show her what it's like to have someone be a good friend. She's had some really crappy friendships and relationships, but she's still got a good attitude about everything. Of all three books, I think I liked Ruby the most in this one. She's finally coming into her own and learning to stand up for herself. I wish I knew Ruby in real life!

Literary Love: Boys, Boys, Boys
Noel. Gideon. Jackson. Angelo. Finn. Hutch. Goodness gracious, Ruby, I can barely keep up! In truth, Ruby's really got eyes for Noel. He's funny, charming, and cool enough to hang out with everyone. He writes her funny notes and leaves them in her cubby. And, you know, the classroom kissing wasn't bad either...

Word Nerd: We've Been Over This Before!
The thing about the writing that really stood out for me in this book was Ruby's slang phrases. Let's take a look at a few:
  • Reginald - Her word for the grieving process
  • Mocha Latte - AKA adolescence/puberty
  • Roly-Poly - a social outcast, previously referred to as a leper
  • Muffin - a boy who is okay, kind of cute, but really nothing to get worked up about 
The writing is definitely one of my favorite things about these books - Ruby sounds like a realistic teenager. She's hilarious, over analyzes everything, 

Extra, Extra: The Zoo
I absolutely loved learning more about Ruby's job at the zoo, especially her love for a certain pygmy goat. It was fun seeing her get to do something that she obviously cared about, and I much preferred the zoo over the shoe store. Smelly feet? Ick! Animal poop? Also gross, but probably better in the long run.

Extra, Extra: Bake Sale
Ruby's running Baby CHUBS, a bake sale, and that was a really fun aspect of this book. I loved seeing Ruby stand up for herself and become invested in something. She 

So Quotable
"Of course we scolded [our dog, Polka-dot]. We said "No, Polka-dot!" and tied him on the dock if he was farting. Maybe we even slapped his nose once in a while. But we told him we were mad and then we forgave him. Because our attitude was generally: Polka-dot is good. Polka-dot is loved. If Polka-dot is a huge pain to live with once in a while, we'll deal with it, because the good outweighs the bad. I wanted a friend who felt about me the way my family felt about Polka-dot."

Bottom Line: BFF By Now
I already loved Ruby, but it was so fun getting to see a new side of her. This was such a fun read, and I think more people should get to know Ms. Oliver. She's funny, sweet and can make a list like no one else. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© So Obsessed With • Theme by Maira G.